How to start a daycare in Ontario

Table of contents

Getting started
Other resources


The child care industry primarily consists of businesses that provide daycare services for infants and children. Your daycare can be a home-based operation, or it can be a commercial centre that serves a particular area or community. You can offer several different types of services; the choice of size, location and specific services will depend on you.

Some examples of daycare services include:

  • Babysitting
  • Child care for older children (before and after school care)
  • Unlicensed or licensed home-based daycare
  • Licensed centre-based daycare
  • Licensed child care agency
  • Nanny services (work in home of employer as a live-in or live-out nanny)
  • Early childhood education services

Caring for someone else's children involves a lot of responsibility and a serious commitment. When the children are in your custody you are responsible, by law, for their safety and well-being.

Getting started

When you start a business there are several things to consider before you can sell your product or service. Most businesses in Ontario need to complete a minimum of three basic steps:

  • Find out what licences and regulations apply to your type of business
  • Choose a business structure and register or incorporate your business
  • Determine if you will need to collect and remit HST

Our business start-up guide will give you more information on these steps and other basic requirements for starting a business in Ontario.

Read online:
Starting a Business


Your business may need licences and permits from the federal, provincial and municipal levels of government.

In addition to the information you will find in this guide, you can use the Canada Business Permits and Licences Search, powered by BizPaL, to find licences and regulations that may affect your business. You can also contact us to speak to someone about starting your business.

Contact us:
Permits and licences search

Some common licences, permits and regulations that may apply to starting your daycare include:

General child care licensing standards

Child care centres and some home-based daycares in Ontario are licensed by the Ministry of Education. You may plan to offer unlicensed home-based child care, however you will need a licence if you:

  • Care for more than 2 children under the age of 2 (including your own children)
  • Care for more than 5 children over the age of 2 (including your own children under the age of 6)

A licence is also needed for private home daycare agencies that contract individual caregivers who provide child care out of their own homes.  

As a licensed and regulated home-based daycare provider, you need to meet provincial health, safety and caregiver training standards including:

  • Caregivers must be over the age of 18
  • Caregivers for special needs children must have valid first-aid certification

A home visitor will meet with licensed home-based daycare providers on a regular basis to conduct general inspections and provide support.

Additional licensing may be required if you want to care for children with a physical, visual or auditory disability, or if the child has a developmental, communication, behavioural or a chronic medical problem.

If you are planning to provide daycare or childcare services you can confirm whether you need to be licensed by sending an email to the Ministry detailing your planned services.

Note that the Ministry of Education is only accepting email enquiries and will not respond to telephone enquiries on childcare licensing.

Contact the Ministry of Education at
Information for New Applicants

Read online:
Child care licensing resources
Home-based child care providers 
Licensed home-based child care 
Information for child care professionals

Day camps or summer camps

Day camps, or summer camps, are geared for school age children and offer activities in a community setting where the children return home in the evenings. Day camps are usually run by the week or by the month, in summers or during school breaks.

Under the Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014, a day camp does not require a child care licence if the program or service:

  • operates for up to 13 weeks in a calendar year
  • does not operate on school days
  • does not operate in a person's home
  • only cares for children who are 4 years or older – or, if the program is offered on or after September 1, for children who will turn four by the end of the calendar year.

Note: Day camps in Ontario serving children younger than 4 years of age do require a child care licence.

Consult the Ministry of Education's web page and fact sheet for more on day camps in Ontario: 

Read online:
What parents and providers need to know about day camps

If you plan on preparing or serving food as part of the daycare services you provide, the following food safety regulations may apply:

Food safety and labelling

Your local health unit is the main contact for information on food safety. Local health authorities are responsible for carrying out food service inspections.

You should contact your local health authority and arrange an inspection of the premises, equipment and processes to make sure your business is complying with provincial and federal legislation.

The following link provides contact information for local health authorities that perform inspections on restaurants and food businesses in Ontario.

Read online:
Local public health contacts

In addition to contacting your local health unit, if you are involved in the production, service or processing of food products, you will need to comply with safety standards and labelling regulations from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) and the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA).

Contact CFIA:
Regulated products and sectors

Contact OMAFRA:
Regulations for the food industry

Legal questions

You can contact Pro Bono Ontario’s free legal advice hotline to enquire about getting help with your everyday civil legal needs (no family law or criminal law). The service is generally aimed at those who cannot afford a lawyer.

Note that service is not guaranteed and you will be asked questions as part of the qualifying process, such as the amount of personal income earned by your household, your name, postal code and age range.

Contact Pro Bono Ontario’s Free Legal Advice Hotline:


You can also contact the Law Society of Ontario's Law Society Referral Service if you have legal questions of a business nature. The service may be able to assist you in finding a lawyer or paralegal, based on your needs.

Use online:
Law Society Referral Service


Depending on your location and the type of products or services being offered, federal, provincial and/or municipal business taxes may apply.

Read online:
Taxation guide

If you sell goods and services in Ontario, you may need a business number to collect and remit the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST). Most businesses that make less than $30,000 in any 12-month period are not required to charge HST; however, you can register voluntarily and claim input tax credits. Speak with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for more information.

Contact CRA:
Canada Revenue Agency


Government departments and agencies provide financing such as grants, contributions, subsidies and loan guarantees. Find out what type of government financing may be available for your business. Use the program search tool or browse by type of financing.

Search online:
Government grants and financing

Other resources


From day-to-day operations to long-term planning, learn how to manage your business efficiently.


If you are interested in finding an association, use our secondary market research service request and have us search for one based on your needs.

Industry-specific information

You can also find books, magazines and other relevant print material at business service organizations in your community. To locate a Canada Business Ontario (CBO) community partner, contact us at 1-888-576-4444.